Tuesday 22 March 2011

Daddy Extrodinare

My dad is lots of things.  He is a father, a husband, farmer, sort of a scientist, an engineer, kinda a rancher, a buisuness owner, coach, good driver, a deacon, a friend to many, a mentor, a neibour, a Christian, and a firm believer that the last letter of the English alphabet is pronounced "Zed".  My dad works nearly all day at our farm, then drives an hour or so many days of the week to take my little brother to baseball.  He works on holidays and Sundays to grow the food that you eat.  In his spare time, he either experiments with things around the house and farm or teases me and my siblings (I tease him right back:D)  On the nights we ship out our chickens, he is working non-stop from 9:00 PM to 1-3:00 AM.  But his wrk doesn't stop there.  MY dad is up a little later the next morning and is cleaning the barns out.  Then comes a 1-1/12 week period between cycles.  Only half of this is actually able to do things he wants to do.  He has to fix things around our property.  In late-ish fall he is out cultivateing the fields and planting vast acres of crops (yes, crops ARE planted before winter!),   In the spring he's out spraying for weds.  In late summer/early fall he is out in the fields for hours on end harvesting crops in a combine that has air conditioning, a tape player and a radio.  But even then that's not all my daddy does.  He built a dump truck box from scratch.  A few years later, he converted it into a manure spreader.  He built a flipy-thing for my horse's feeder she couldn't waste hay by tossing it out.  He built a no-mess feeder for the cows too.  At baseball practices, there are these 'L' shaped screen things that people pitch over for some reason that escapes me, :p.  My dad built one out of metal pipes, fishing net and, of course, hay string.  My dad has taught me much, from how to pound a nail without hitting myself, to how to work out solutions to problems using only the building materials on hand (I figured out how to make horse jumps using 2x4s or 6s, fence posts, and PVC pipes).  My dad is amazing and I figured I needed to have a whole post for just him to say so :)

No comments:

Post a Comment